Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My oncologist . . .

You haven't heard from me lately because I've been spending much of my time trying to find the "right" oncologist, which most likely means going outside my HMO network and finding the best person for my situation. It's been a struggle, and I found myself overwhelmed at times. but I feel like I'm on the right path.

Last time I had melanoma, I had an oncologist that worked closely with UCLA. I contacted him and he said he would be happy to take me on as his patient again. But his speciality is NOT melanoma. However, his colleague specializes in melanoma as well as a few other cancers so I'm going to see him this afternoon. But it doesn't stop there.

My good friend Joanne Asman suggeted that I go to USC. She works closely with them since she puts on "Fiesta of the Spanish Horse" which raises awareness and funds for Cancer Research so we may find a cure for cancer. Bless her heart, she called one of the oncologists on my behalf and, after hearing my details, he told her the best place for me would be the John Wayne Cancer Institute in Santa Monica. So I hopped on the internet and started researching the doctors there. I found a Dr. Morton who looked like he would fit the bill. He is Chief of the Melanoma Program. I called his office and and talked to his front office, but didn't make an appointment. While all of this was happening, a friend of John's - Jerry Ash - having heard about what is going on with me, called John and also recommended the John Wayne Cancer Istitute. He asked John to have me call him right away. So I did. It turns out that Jerry was a 3 time National Champion cyclist, he was on the Olympic cycling team and who know what else. Jerry told me he was diagnosed with melanoma about seven years ago and was given just a few months to live. He went to Dr. Morton. After our conversation I jumped back on the phone and made the appointment. I feel like all things are pointing in this direction and it's the place I am meant to be. I will see Dr. Morton tomorrow morning. He seems very thorough, requesting all of my scans, films, reports, blood work and even documentation from my episode in 1999.

As always, I am hopeful. I ask for your prayers and healing thoughts. I know it will make a difference.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Shelly....I love you and your family and am praying for what I know exists....a miracle...it sounds like Dr. Morton is the perfect provider. Please let me know if you need anyting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shelly,

    Remember I'm praying for you!

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shelly,
    I'm thinking of you, and will be sending all my prayers and positive thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete