Monday, December 21, 2009

Filling in the blanks

Tomorrow is Tuesday, our weekly doctor day. This week we’ll be doing a full battery of tests again, including a CT scan to see if we are holding the cancer at bay, or if it has spread. I’m convinced that the treatment is working already. The subcutaneous lumps I have been developing are getting smaller, so even without actual tests, my doctor and his team are very optimistic. The extensive tests are administered after every two cycles, but as close to the upcoming cycle as they can to give the drugs a chance to do their job. After reviewing the test results the doctor will determine whether or not I will continue on the trial. I’m confident we’ll continue. Because of the short week with Christmas, they wanted us to wait until next week for test results, but John talked them into letting us come back Wednesday for preliminary findings. I think they just wanted to make him shut up! I’ll keep you all in the loop.

When we were in last week, my white blood cell count was pretty low, but not as low as the previous week. After cycle one they dropped way down and we were on the border line as far as staying on schedule for the treatment. I needed a minimum of 101(thousand) to continue and the morning of the treatment I squeaked by with 105. It is normal for the counts to drop after treatment, then slowly rise on their own. So far, mine have behaved admirably.

Thanks for hanging in there with me. I love and count on your continued prayers and well wishes. You’ll hear from me again before Christmas. Love to you all, Shelly

No comments:

Post a Comment